Saturday 14 December 2013

House Baratheon warhorse in Renly's colours

Settling on a lopsided ratio of the types of House Baratheon heraldry on the warhorse, i.e. one stag head to three stags rearing on its hindquarters, I managed to finish painting the stag designs freehand over a period of two days. Although the stag head was easier to paint freehand, it didn't looks as impressive as the other heraldry depicting a rearing stag hence the lopsided ratio.  

House Baratheon heraldry in Renly's colours, the stag head

For the rearing stag, I had to change the positioning of its antlers because the original heraldry design wouldn't have translated well into miniature paint form, especially with my limited skills. To make things easier, I positioned one of the antlers as how it would have been seen if the stag had turned its head slightly more towards your or my viewpoint/direction. End result is a more stylized rather than realistic design which was much easier to paint freehand on the warhorse. 

House Baratheon heraldry in Renly's colours, the rearing stag

To make the House Baratheon heraldry (Renly version) stand out, I used bright yellow colours as opposed to the pastel ochre shades found in the original designs. Another difference was that my versions were painted in flat colours versus the original's more shaded colours. This was to ensure that this miniature would not look out of place with the general design of all the other Bretonnian Knight conversions I have done so far and will do in the future for my Game of Thrones project. 

House Baratheon warhorse complete with Renly's heraldry, side view (left)
House Baratheon warhorse complete with Renly's heraldry, side view (left)

Work now shifts to the knight to be seated on the warhorse, so do stayed tuned for further updates.


http://shireworks.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. For this one, maybe you wanna try some outlining with black pen.
    Might turn out better I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Lord AK. =) It might indeed turn out better but I am hesitant to do so because I don't trust myself to draw a fine enough outline with a pen. As weird as this may sound, I have found it easier to paint rather than draw fine lines using freehand. That being said, I also don't trust myself to paint freehand outlines on complicated heraldry designs as above. LoL ... damned if you do damned if you don't. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Looking forward to your latest work as always. =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...