Friday 12 September 2014

Ork Warboss [WIP - Battle worn body armour]

Perhaps not entirely in keeping with the Ork Warboss's rather clean pants and loincloth, I had painted his body armour to depict battle damage e.g. paint chips on the yellow bits, verdigris on the brass or bronze bits as well as rust and grime on the pure metal parts. But in the grand scheme of things, I do like the overall look that it gives so I might still resist the urge to eventually dirty up his clothes.  

Ork Warboss [Assault on Black Reach], work-in-progress with its body armour completed

I suppose you could say this particular Ork Warboss has an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to keeping his clothes clean. Let's just say many a gretchin has died to keep them spotless. That being said, the muted and drab colours of his clothes do make its cleanliness less obvious.

Purplish eye lens adds some variety to the overall colour scheme
Power Klaw will likely be painted in similar fashion to the Ork Warboss's body armour

Although I have come to loath working with metallic paints, I must say I quite enjoyed giving them a battle worn look especially the light rust and/or grimed look prevalent on the exposed metal. It was a bit more of a hassle to paint battle damage in the form of paint chips on armour parts that are coated in yellow paint. That's one painting technique I need to work on to make the damage look realistic.

Oops, I seem to have left a spot unpainted ... on the left gun's muzzle

With the exception of the weapons on each hand and the base, the Ork Warboss is close to being finished. Both weapons will be painted in a similar fashion to the body armour i.e. a combination of brass/bronze/exposed metal/yellow coated metal with grime, rust and verdigris effects.

Gun will be painted more with grime and not so much rust effects
Having a bright yellow 'masthead' is tantamount to inviting yourself to get shot at

Thanks for checking out my latest progress on the Ork Warboss. Both he and two other main projects namely Knight Models Spider-Man and Nocturna Models Le Petit Chaperon are near completion so I had better get started on getting some new miniatures prepped for priming and painting. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment on my blog, and I hope you have a great weekend too.

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

26 comments:

  1. Looking good. i bet some powders, pigments or chalk pastels ground up would dirty up his clothing well enough if you wanted to try them out ;) Funny how getting things to look naturally dirty and ill maintained can require so much damn work eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As luck would have it, I have no powders, pigments or chalk pastels in my little old set of tools to use on the clothing. :( Are there any particular stuff you would recommend? Lol ... yeah, so much damn work doesn't even begin to cut it. I wish I could have just rubbed the miniature on real dirt and be done with. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Muscle details are great! Maybe I should paint something else other than my current units to try out new techniques XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dwolve. Yep, you should start trying out other minis not only to improve your skills but also to add that little bit of variety into the hobby or you might burn out as painting the same type of mini again and again can sometimes be a bummer! But like you said, painting other stuff does improve one's technique (and skills), for example this ork's skin was based upon knowledge gained trying to paint human skin. Weird huh! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Great look , fine paint as always .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  4. really good job as usual!
    the armour is almost perfect and i bet the final result will be wonderful.
    waiting for more.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luca. I am trying to improve my metal painting technique bit by bit but it's not easy when I hate working with metallic paints.

      Delete
  5. " Let's just say many a gretchin has died to keep them spotless. "
    Fantastic. I can just imagine the grots accidently spilling something on his pants, and dying because of it.

    Highly suggest picking up a grot orderly, and painting it up like he's bringing the warboss a new set of clean pants :).

    Skin tones are really nicely done on the warboss. Good depth, looks proper orky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... that's a good idea, for the grot orderly. Very creative of you, I would have never thought of it in a million years. Only grot orderly I have is an Ork Painboy's assistant though. Would be cool if I could sculpt one that looked like a tailor with scissors, rulers and stuff. ^_^

      Thanks for positive comments on the skin tone. I am happy with it in that it's the first time I did not use a wash to give it contrast. This time around I tried practicing my blending and layering to achieve contrast. ^_^

      Delete
  6. Very very nice! Not much to do now to get this fine fellow finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. :) Yep, just his Power Klaw and gun left. More metals to work on ... sigh.

      Delete
  7. Coming along very nicely. I love those really nice lines and detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks spunkybass. Yeah, one cool thing about orks is the amount of detail that they have. So much things for the eye to look at. Kinda makes a middle-lower skilled painter look like an expert painter ... almost... lol. ^_^

      Delete
  8. It's getting better and better. Your Ork already is an impressive sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the supportive comments Moiterei. :)

      Delete
  9. You can always say that his clothes are actually white under the layer of dirt ;) The metalics look great, looks like it will be a great model! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... yes yes that's absolutely it. That's white clothing under a layer of 'stuff that hit the fan when things don't go well'. I am going with that now. ^_^

      Delete
  10. This is coming along great! You are putting quite an effort on this one, but it's totally worth of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my key weaknesses ... every mini I work on I tend to put a lot of effort in even though it doesn't necessarily look it at the end. I must find a way to paint lazily and still look like I am a super award winning master painter. :)

      Delete
  11. This Ork is coming along nicely. The red hair is a good contrast to the green and the yellow. I'm looking forward to how you finish him up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The head and mouth detail is also striking- nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prof! :) I can't take any credit for the colour scheme as it's found in most Bad Moonz Ork references in a White Dwarf magazine or 'Eavy Metal guides. I got lucky with the mouth as I was experimenting with colours that I thought would approximate real-life colours (of the human kind that is as we know there aren't any orks in the real world ... are there?) and it turned out surprisingly well ... in my humble opinion anyway. ^_^

      Delete
  13. Wow, so many details! You're a very diligent man to do this, and the result is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like an Obsessive Compulsive Painter but you are right. This miniature has a lot of details and that sometimes does help a painter look better than he or she actually is. ^_^

      Delete
    2. Oh well, I'd like to be an Obsessive Compulsive Painter too with such results ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...