Saturday 17 January 2015

Nocturna Models Enchantment [WIP - Dragon Rhaegal]

At this stage of my Daenerys Targaryen project, it's all about using colors to convey textures. Using different colour combinations as well as variations in the respective hue's values, I wanted to convey a heightened sense of 'softness' on her clothes in contrast to a dragon's tough scale-like exterior. Part of this Game of Thrones character's inherent political power is projected through her three dragons hence I wanted the one perched on her arm to feature prominently in the overall scheme of things. 

Rhaegal, one of three dragons belonging to Daenerys Targaryen

Rhaegal easily chose itself as the dragon of choice to be painted out of the three dragons associated with Daenerys Targaryen - the other two being Drogon (black with red markings) and Viserion (creamy white with gold markings). Described as having largely green scales with bronze markings made Rhaegal as the most suitable, in terms of colour combination, to be placed on top of her light turquoise blue sleeves. To me at least, it made for a more harmonious (yin and yang) pairing.

A green dragon made sense when paired with her clothes overall colour scheme
Orange/bronze markings in the folds of the dragons wings are what defines it as Rhaegal
Greens had an olive and lime vibe to them, if colours were food that is

It's only now that the light pastel colours on Daenerys Targaryen's clothes begin to make sense and starts to take a life of its own. I am hoping that when clothing accessories and skin tones are applied, her clothes will start to look even better as every colour is characterised by the hue(s) next to it.   

Sculpted curves on her body contrasts well against the jagged edges of the dragon wings
Best angle to view the contrast in colours between dragon and clothes
Details on the dragon were well sculpted
Darker green hues on the inside folds of the dragon's wings

Taken as a whole, I am very happy with how the girl and dragon is coming along. It wasn't easy to stick to my own convictions during the initial stages as I was constantly plagued with doubts as to whether I had made the right choice in choosing light pastel colours. The urge to darken and increase contrast was overwhelming and remains so even now. As mentioned earlier, I retain hope that when more work is done on the skin and clothing accessories, my choice will be further justified.   

Work-in-progress, Nocturna Models Enchantment as Daenerys of House Targaryen
Clothing accessories have yet to be painted ... still waiting for inspiration to hit me
Side view gives a snapshot of the main colours used so far
Contrast within the clothes were less stark than on the dragon's skin

Work on both the clothes and dragon is not wholly complete as I am still open to future modifications as and when other parts are painted. Not all outcomes can be fully anticipated which is what makes art so much fun. Sometimes you end up somewhere you never intended to go to in the first place. Everything is still pretty much how I expected it to turn out but I am always wary of the unexpected.  

Work-in-progress, Nocturna Models Enchantment (back view)
Painting of the Nocturna Models Enchantment figure remains a long way from completion
Appreciation of how well sculpted this figurine is grows with each painting session

There is still a long way to go before the paint work for the Nocturna Models Enchantment miniature is finished. Currently, I would place it at around 50% completed. I am going to take my own sweet time with her as the high quality of this sculpture demands it. I hope you will continue to join me as further progress is made on my interpretation of Daenerys Targaryen of the Game of Thrones series.
   
http://shireworks.blogspot.com/p/nocturna.html

16 comments:

  1. That dragon makes for a great focal point! Painting is top notch as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moiterei. There was a danger the dragon could have faded into the background if I chose a wrong colour scheme, mainly due to its relatively smaller size. One reason I chose light pastel colours was to bring the dragon to the fore ... that and I just love pastel colours. ^_^

      Delete
  2. This dragon is so cute! Nice job on the contrast of the colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... it looks cute at first glance but on closer inspection (look at those teeth) ...

      Delete
  3. Now look who has got colours that pop? Awesome work, really coming along now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Michael. Thanks. :) But my usage of colours still cannot (and I say this not under false modesty) hold a candle to your choices of colours.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! The dragon looks amazing. Great job dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I was glad that the contrast in green hues managed to show through under the scrutiny of a macro lens.

      Delete
  5. great progress as usual, you are making a wonderful job!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your supportive comments are much appreciated luca ... thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sweet! The colour combination makes it a delicious pairing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber, let's hope I don't go and spoil it all with an inappropriate colour later on in the process. :)

      Delete
  7. Great look this dragon ! I looking forward to see more .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Next up is most likely her skin tone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...